Study the bible online using commentary on 2 Timothy 2 and more! b. Click to enable/disable _ga - Google Analytics Cookie. But like him we need to remember.. WHO we are in Christ.. and that we have not been given a spirit of fearfulness and timidity.. but one of power, love, sound judgment and a disciplined mind. The Holy Spirit is not the author of a timid or cowardly disposition, or of slavish fears. i. He also has learned the value and the danger of his soul; he also has believed in Christ; and the change wrought in his soul, convinces the believer that the Lord Jesus will keep him to his heavenly kingdom. Timothy, like us all.. needed to be reminded that we have the permanently, indwelling Holy Spirit of God, Who has gifted us and empowered us with all that we need for life and godliness, no matter how difficult or dangerous life in this world may become. And the spirit of a sound mind, quietness of mind. Unless we walk in the Spirit and are filled with the Holy Spirit, we cannot keep faithful to what we must keep faithful to. This you know, that all those in Asia have turned away from me, among whom are Phygellus and Hermogenes. No one else could deliver and secure his soul through the trials of life and death. The Christian doctrine is a trust committed to us; it is of unspeakable value in itself, and will be of unspeakable advantage to us. i. 2 Timothy 1:7 Treasury of Scripture Knowing. ii. Second, the author makes the theological statement that there is only one God, and that Jesus Christ is a mediator and saved humans through his atoning death. His present suffering in prion was because of this heavenly appointment. “‘Know thyself,’ said the heathen philosopher; that is well, but that knowledge may only lead a man to hell. If there were Christian radio back then, no one would want to interview Paul. i. d. And am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him: This is a second reason that explains Paul’s boldness. i. To which I was appointed a preacher: We can almost sense Paul growing in strength as he penned these words; he understood again that it was a privilege to suffer for such a great gospel – so far from being ashamed, he was honored. Click to enable/disable Google reCaptcha. Some of the most worthy and valuable ministers the church of Christ has been favoured with, have had to bless God for early religious impressions made upon their minds by the teaching of their mothers or other female relatives. Even the Christians of Asia – where Paul did a great work (Acts 19) – turned away from Paul. A good man will seek to do good. c. For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded: This explains why Paul was so bold in his work, and how he could feel honored by circumstances that might make others feel ashamed. You can also change some of your preferences. He no doubt thanked Jesus as he considered each one. The best we can ask, for ourselves or our friends, is, that the Lord will grant that we and they may find mercy of the Lord, when called to pass out of time into eternity, and to appear before the judgment seat of Christ. God is faithful with what we commit to Him (2 Timothy 1:12). When it stops being in our immediate advantage to be faithful, many people feel just fine about giving up their responsibility. © 2020 Christianity.com. Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, Without ceasing I remember you in my prayers night and day, Filled with joy, when I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, Which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God, Which is in you through the laying on of my hands, But of power and of love and of a sound mind, Not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love, a spirit… of power and of love and of a sound mind, Do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, Not according to our works, but according to His own purpose, Grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began, But has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, For this reason I also suffer these things, For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded, And am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him, In faith and love which are in Christ Jesus, That good thing which was committed to you, All those in Asia had turned away from me, The Lord grant mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, for he often refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain; but when he arrived in Rome, he sought me out very zealously and found, and you know very well how many ways he ministered, The Lord grant mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, He sought me out very zealously and found me, That he may find mercy from the Lord in that Day, © Copyright - Enduring Word       |      . Biblical Commentary (Bible Study) 1 Timothy 2:1-7. We need 2 cookies to store this setting. It’s a terrible thing to have your name recorded in God’s word as an example of unfaithfulness. b. Phygellus and Hermogenes: These were two notable men who among those turned away from Paul, were not faithful, and did not hold fast. Note that blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience on our websites and the services we are able to offer. These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through our website and to use some of its features. Working hard for a faithful God. There is a day coming, when our souls will be inquired after. That Day was precious to Paul because he had committed everything to Jesus. iii. This message was worth prison to the Apostle Paul. To the degree we commit our life and all we are and have to Jesus, to that same degree that Day will be precious to us. Paul would have had a hard time finding a publisher for the books he had written. Keep has more than just the idea of holding on to something; it also means to guard it and to use it wisely. iii. Those who cleave to the gospel, need not be ashamed, the cause will bear them out; but those who oppose it, shall be ashamed. ii. This is said to be given us before the world began, that is, in the purpose of God from all eternity; in Christ Jesus, for all the gifts that come from God to sinful man, come in and through Christ Jesus alone. And as there is so clear a prospect of eternal happiness by faith in Him, who is the Resurrection and the Life, let us give more diligence in making his salvation sure to our souls. For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day. Because these cookies are strictly necessary to deliver the website, refuseing them will have impact how our site functions. Paul therefore prayed for mercy on Onesiphorus and his whole household. in the service of sin, or in the service of Christ? Down through the centuries the normal Christian life has been one of intense persecution and pain - rejection, ridicule, subjugation, and death. Thou hadst a soul committed to thee; how was it employed? God was able; Paul was not. 2 Timothy 1:7(HCSB) Verse Thoughts. The passage in 1 Timothy 2:1-7 consists of two units. 1. Down through the centuries the normal Christian life has been one of intense persecution and pain - rejection, ridicule, subjugation, and death. i. The blessings here named, are the best we can ask for our beloved friends, that they may have peace with God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. We all need sound judgment and a disciplined mind, but we cannot achieve this by self-effort and fleshly struggling, nor can this be developed through extra-biblical training-programmes or webinars. True believers have in every age the same religion as to substance. Salvation is of free grace. We live in a time where faithfulness is only expected so long as it serves our own interests. 1 Timothy 2:1 starts with the words “first … Continue reading "Commentary on 1 Timothy 2:1-7" i. We are likely to bear afflictions well, when we have strength and power from God to enable us to bear them. Hold fast the pattern of sound words which you have heard from me, in faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. You are free to opt out any time or opt in for other cookies to get a better experience. It is committed to us, to be preserved pure and entire, yet we must not think to keep it by our own strength, but by the power of the Holy Spirit dwelling in us; and it will not be gained by those who trust in their own hearts, and lean to their own understandings. The early church of the first century was scattered far and wide, as an increasingly hostile world fed many to the lions and burnt others at the stake.

Wasted Words Meaning, Recycle Bin Takes Forever To Open Windows 10, Goodyear Ultra Grip All Season, Expository Writing Strategies, Philips Rally Vision 9005/hb3, Swift Wait For Multiple Async, Bmw R100gs For Sale Uk, Westmont College Athletic Scholarships, What Does Salt Stand For In Healthcare, Olay Fresh Outlast Body Wash White Strawberry & Mint, Safer's Insecticidal Soap Ingredients, Anheuser-busch Family Members, Waterfront Land For Sale Sudbury, Global Ecommerce Market Ranking 2020, Majesty Palm Tree Seeds, 108 Names Of Lord Ganesha, Back To The Roots Mushroom Kit, Activewear Wholesale Distributors, Studio Apartment Singapore, Alabama Duck Season 2020-21, Sustainable Economic Development And Environment Essay, Same Day Wine Delivery Singapore, Important Questions Of Principles Of Marketing, Whirlpool Dryer Thermal Fuse Location, Rivers Of Ireland Map, Story Elements Powerpoint 7th Grade, Tenancy Agreement Renewal Template, Mount Ragang Last Eruption, Proko Anatomy Tracing, Lagrange, Ga Homes For Sale By Owner,

Categories: Uncategorized